12 June 2012

Builder Design Center Selections


Upgrades is where the builder makes their margin.  I was allocated a $14,000 design center budget but really it is more like $10,000.  The design center is where you go to make your home selections such as color, flooring, electrical wiring, countertops, etc.  I was allowed two 4 hour appointments to make and finalize my choices.

The big ticket items are upgraded counter tops, sprinkler system, hardwood floors, tile floors.  I decided to not do hardwood floors at this time because the cost was $7000 for about 500 square feet.  The selection was not great.  I can save $2000-3000 hiring a contractor.

To stay within the budget, I went standard in the bathrooms except for upgraded tile to match the upgraded tile in the kitchen and foyer.  I allocated $1500 for electrical such as flatscreen prewire, surround sound, window security contacts, and additional LAN outlets.  Wiring is expensive but necessary since it is harder to do especially for two story homes after the dry wall is up.

Things I wish were standard are garage opener, backyard landscape, gutters on all sides.  In the end, I went about $500 over the budget which isn't bad.